[TriLUG] Resizing ext2 partitions

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 1 23:16:00 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:13:50PM -0500, Ben Pitzer wrote:
> I'd like to resize my ext2 partitions on my Debian box.  I'm thinking of
> using Partition Magic 6 to do this, as I have a copy here.  Can I do

PartitionMagic 6 should work fine. YMMV.

> this without destroying the data on my partitions?  I'm concerned that I
> might lose my data, or worse, hose my OS and have to rebuild it from
> scratch (since it's the router and firewall for our network, as well as
> print server and my wife's business's web and email server, she might
> just kill me if I lose all of the data and/or require 2 days to rebuild
> the machine).  If you all could let me know if you've been able to
> resize your partitions successfully without destroying your data, I'd be
> grateful.

Nothing beats backups. ;-) Although I have no experience resizing ext2
partitions mounted rw(or ro), from `apt-cache search ext2|grep resize' :

ext2resize - an ext2 filesystem resizer

Versions available for all three flavors.

> Additionally, where might I find some information for someone who is
> just investigating the potential advantages of reiser file systems or
> ext3?  I'm not committed to converting my file systems, but I would like
> to find out what that might entail, as well as what
> advantages/disadvantages might be present in such a plan.

IBM DeveloperWorks has some good articles by Gentoo's Daniel Robbins on
the different journaling fs available for 2.4. I can vouch for a
painless (and pretty much instant) conversion from ext2 -> ext3.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc