[TriLUG] Gentoo Linux boot disk

Matt Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Tue Apr 2 00:34:18 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:34:34PM -0500, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 10:09, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> >> Is there a way to make a boot disk for gentoo?
>
> >Good question.
>
> >Idea #1: Would it be possible to use a grub rescue/boot floppy to get
> >the Gentoo CD going? :^|
>
> How is this done?

You can get a working version of GRUB to go on a floppy here:
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/
(Read the README.)

Then you'd need to follow directions in the GRUB manual to start booting from
the CD. This is the part where you'll have to do some research. I haven't done
that before, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\