[TriLUG] Re: Re: wireless cards with linux

James Manning trilug at sublogic.com
Tue Apr 2 21:20:56 EST 2002

[Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney]
> FWIW, I have a 2-slot adapter in one of my systems there's a card and
> the PCMCIA slots are in a 3.5 drive bay. Very cool looking, and easy to
> access it you want to use it for more than a network access point.

just as a heads-up having gone through this first-hand - if you put
a pcmcia-to-pci adapter in your SMP system, expect things to hose -
my poor dual celery's been running a UP kernel forever :(

Now, pcmcia used to not work in SMP *at all* and now it does, but
individual drivers still have SMP issues - both wavelan_cs and orinoco_cs
still have problems for me on an SMP kernel under heavy load.  YMMV.

Yes, with a UP kernel they're both rock-solid.
--
James Manning <jmm at sublogic.com>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4