[TriLUG] RR to charge for bandwidth hogging

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Apr 9 06:38:13 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 00:54, Bill Vinson wrote:
> According to Slashdot & Network World, Time Warner will start charging
> more for people who go over some predefined bandwidth limit later this
> year.  They don't give any specifics.  I know that this is probably
> inevitable, but I hope they at least set a reasonable ceiling and
> reasonable costs.  Also, it would be a necessity to have a daily update
> as to how much bandwidth had been used and how much was left.
>
> Just thought you RR users would want to know...

I wonder if this will give us a stronger legal foundation to sue
spammers in this state since they will contribute to the increased use
of bandwidth.

I think this is also going to have a major impact on sites driven by
advertising, as everyone is going to want to cut out banner ads to keep
from blowing their bandwidth quota.

And also there are all of those spyware programs that are so common in
the Windoze world.  If people are going to have quotas, they may finally
start to take notice of these.