[TriLUG] OT: RR Networking Question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Apr 11 09:37:32 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 05:34, M. Mueller wrote:

> I have Earthlink DSL.  The DNS servers take a break every now and then.
> There are two servers, so I ping one and then the other and compare.  I don't
> know a lot about DNS but they seem to throttle every request you make - even
> if you "ping 222.111.55.2" for example, the DNS will look "222.111.555.2" up
> and you will take a delay.

That would be interesting, considering that if you give ping, or
any other program an ip address *it doesn't look it up in DNS*!

> Maybe the DNS is doing its maintenance updates
> when you are slowing down?  When you are in the slowdown mode, go to
> /etc/resolv.conf and comment out the DNS servers and add "search
> localdomain", then ping an outside IP address (outside your LAN).  If there's
> no slow down, then maybe the slowdown is coming from the DNS.

If you're worried about your ISP's name servers slowing down,
just run a caching name server on your own box.  It's extremely
easy to do and it will reduce the time needed to resolve frequently
used addresses.

Tanner