[TriLUG] OT: More on the RR Network issue

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Thu Apr 11 13:02:56 EDT 2002

quotation from Bill Vinson <billvinson at nc.rr.com> [on 020411 11:26]:

> So, everything starts getting slow and what correct itself until a cable
> modem power cycle.  If I restart networking without power cycling it
> doesn't find an ip address and simply keeps looking until it has failed.

Warning: OT Response to OT post

I have DSL service through DirectTVDSL (nee Telocity) and their gateway
seems to need a power cycle every once in a while too, and I happened to
have bought one of the X-10 computer interfaces, and with a modified
version of this script:

http://content.techweb.com/winmag/fixes/2000/0818.htm

monitor connectivity, and when I have lost connectivity to the net for
more than a few minutes, I power cycle the gateway.  Sometimes brining
the network interface up and down fixes the problem, but a power cycle
seems to fix it every time (except when their routers ar down.)

Heres the X-10 I got:
http://www.x10.com/firecracker/fc_offer_br1ab.htm

but I think it cost $5 when I bought it, and they weren't running those
annoying pop up ads.

Peace.

john