[TriLUG] Kmail and GnuPG

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Fri Apr 12 07:17:54 EDT 2002

On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 11:42 PM, Chris Knowles wrote:
> However, I notice that several of you have your signatures as an
> attachment
> to the e-mail.  (Hedemark and Johnston are ones that I recall seeing)
>
> Is there an easy way to verify this signature from within Kmail?  Or
> what do
> I have to do to verify the signature.  (Not that I don't think that
> Chris
> wrote that e-mail about the X Terminals, just want to know what to do
> if that
> irreputable Johnston posts again.  :)

You've discovered the two schools of thought in PGP signatures.  The
right way (S/Mime, detached signatures used by things like mutt), and
the common way (inline signatures, used by pine, Kmail, etc.)

 From what I've been able to gather, S/Mime is better, because it can
sign attachments and stuff other than just body text, but for some
reason most clients don't support it.  The "inline" method is weaker (it
can only sign stuff within the body block), but just about every client
can handle it.

There may be some procmail trick to convert between the two formats.

--Wade