[TriLUG] VNC issues

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Fri Apr 12 18:29:23 EDT 2002

> sounds like there is no window manager running.

I'm still not real clear on the linux window manager thing. Would that be
XFree86, Gnome, or...? I am running a pretty stock install of RHL7.2 and
have both KDE and Gnome installed. Default is Gnome. Does the fact that the
server boots to text login instead of graphical play here? (Init3 vs. init
5) That made the difference when I was test x-win32 with XDMCP sessions
(worked with init:5, didn't with init:3).

> usually the last thing vncserver does is to fire up a window
> manager --
> look in ~/.vnc/xstartup:
>
> > [brettb at reindeer src]$ cat ~/.vnc/xstartup
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> > xsetroot -solid grey
> > xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> > #fvwm2 &
> > twm &

Here are the contents of my ~/.vnc/xstartup:

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

TIA,
Justin