[TriLUG] Laptops

Elliot Peele elliot at trilug.org
Mon Apr 15 15:10:19 EDT 2002

I have had similar experience with dell support. I had a mother board
overheat and burnout. The dell tech that I talked to had no problem with
the fact that I was running Linux and had someone here the next day to
install a new mother board.

I have a Dell Latitude 810C, but I would recomend the Inspiron 8100 or
4100 with a ATI video card (unless you plan to taint your kernel with
the nvidia binary drivers) and make sure that if you are planning to use
the modem you don't end up with a winmodem (ie. 3com mini-pci cards). I
have had some trouble with my laptop and a docking station. My laptop
will reboot itself sometimes, mostly when I and doing anything intesive
like playing a dvd or trying to burn a cd.

All in all Dells are good machines. I just don't know that I would go
with the Latitude line if I had the chance to choose again.

Elliot

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 11:27, Chris Knowles wrote:
> OK, that's odd.
>
> I called Dell Tech support on 4/9 about a problem I was having with a
> laptop running Redhat 7.2, and they were quite hospitable.  They
> determined that it was a harddrive, and sent me a new one.
>
> Guess I must have gotten the only tech who'll talk to Linux people.
>
> CJK
> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 11:11, John Beimler wrote:
> > quotation from Chris Hedemark <chris at yonderway.com> [on 020415 10:47]:
> >
> > > DELL BAAAD!
> > >
> > > Baby in my lap.  Hard to type.  Email me 4 more.
> > >
> > I agree, Linux support is DIY now, and if you call for support during
> > the warantty period they won't help you unless the machine if free of
> > non-MS OS's.  That and I've found their laptop hardware to be flaky.
> >
> > Peace.
> >
> > john
> > TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
> >     http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/faq/TriLUG-faq.html

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
* Elliot Peele                                                   *
* Student in Computer Science     Computer Systems Administrator *
* NC State University             Department of Physics          *
* elliot at trilug.org               ebpeele2 at unity.ncsu.edu        *