[TriLUG] VNC issues

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Tue Apr 16 02:21:19 EDT 2002

As far as I know VNC cannot use XDMCP to talk to a xdm running in the linux
box. I could be wrong about this. If not it should not matter if you are
using run level 3 or 5. AFAIK run level 5 just starts up xdm, which you don't
need.

I guess one way to figure out why you are not seeing anything on your VNC
display is to connect to the linux box with telnet or ssh and then to run
'xterm -display :1'. If the xterm does not appear maybe the error messages on
the telnet window would give you a clue as to the source of the problem.

BTW: my ~/.vnc/xstartup looks like this:
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
startkde &

It works fine for me.

Oh, yes. I start the vncserver with the init.d script that comes with RH7.2.
I just edited the /etc/sysconfig/vncserver file to include the userid that I
want the server to run under.

Hope this helps

--
Peter Long