[TriLUG] Up2date

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Tue Apr 16 02:36:12 EDT 2002

This is not an ideal solution, but it did speed things up for me.

I let up2date go grab all the .hdr files it thinks it needs then I abort it.
This is when it says "downloading headers" or something.

Then I open a bash window and type 'ls > getmethis' in the directory that
up2date downloaded all the .hdr files into. I think it is /var/spool/up2date.

I edit that file and change all the .hdr's to .rpm's with a search and
replace. Then I prepend the url to a faster source of update rpms to the
beginning of the filenames in the file. Someone are work had previously
mirrored updates.redhat.com so I used that. There are lots of mirrors of
redhat's updates on the net.

Next use wget to get all the files listed in the getmethis file. Make sure
they are saved to /var/spool/up2date as well.

Finally I run up2date again. It thinks it has just finished downloading all
the rpms and proceeds with installing them. :)

Making the input file for wget really takes hardly any time.

Good luck.

--
Peter Long