[TriLUG] Re: up2date

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Wed Apr 17 12:46:52 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 12:15, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 10:40, Steve Thorpe wrote:
>
> > Dear Jeff an other TriLUGgers,
> >
> > Noticed the posting about up2date and thought I would add
> > my $.02 worth... personally I prefer to put the new rpms
> > on at my own discretion (using "rpm -Fvh" or "rpm -ivh")
> > so I control exactly which rpms go on there, and when.
> > However it was a continual drag to have to wait a LOOOONG
> > time to download the RPMs from the Red Hat site.  My
> > solution was a home grown alternative to up2date. I wrote
> > a simple script which I run as a cron job prior to each
> > work day, with the following cron tab entry:
>
> Might I suggest another way. :-)  Since Conectiva has ported
> apt to use rpm, and people have setup redhat apt repositories,
> you can just go to http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/, download and
> install apt for rpm and point it to their 7.2 updates repository
> (they also appear to have 6.2).  Then, I believe, you should just
> be able to do
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get check
> # apt-get upgrade
>
> And it will download and install the latest updates
> for you.  In addition, suppose you find you didn't
> install a particular package you now want, just do
>
> # apt-get install <package name>
>
> and it will automatically download and install it.
>
> This works very well, and I wish redhat would
> use apt themselves directly...

In fact, I have a personal apt repository that contains 7.0 through
skipjack, with updates, plus my own custom-built RPMs and some other
stuff.

Once you get your trees in order (what you want in the repository), it's
fairly straightforward to generate the apt repository itself.  I've got
a set of scripts that I want to clean up a little and then make
available if anyone's interested in seeing them.

I also need to talk to the steering committee about this, but I'd like
to put together an apt repository for trilug, but we've gotta get more
disk space first.  I may donate the space myself if it means I can get
my personal repository off my machine.  =)

It'll be a bit of work, though.  Is anyone else interested in this?

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/