[TriLUG] Yahoo! News - Hollywood's new enemy--Linux fans

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Wed Apr 17 15:29:41 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 17 April 2002 02:44 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 14:29, al johson wrote:
> > Well, when you enter this particular URL, Yahoo reports that it doesn't
> > exist!!--AL Johnson.

What would happen if....

 ...a router where to implant Hollywood "do not copy" markers in every packet
that came through it? Then what if all the new computers had to obey the "do
not copy" markers and it would be illegal to remove the markers? Could that
happen? I wonder how much irritation that would cause?

Copyright piracy will not be deterred. Illegal copies will still be made. The
quality might not be as good as the original digital master, but this
approach at prevention will only stimulate a brilliant group of people to
confound it. And they will succeed. Prohibition did not work. The war against
drugs is going well, don't you think? Government imposed technical policy is
no match for hackers. Look at the damage hackers do already.

The big question that I have is why Hollywood thinks they have a right to
distribute on digital media? If digital is not working out for them, why not
revert to analog media for distribution? They're all joined together - it
should be an easy decision.
--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.