[TriLUG] console access through serial port?

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Thu Apr 18 08:01:56 EDT 2002

Rrr.. one of my servers is requiring intervention (read: rebooting)
on an almost daily basis now.  This leads to two questions:

1. Is there any way to get access to the console through the
   serial port?  I have another system that does this for VMS
   and T64U systems (anyone remember VCS?), but it's unclear
   to me whether Linux supports it -- and, if so, how I can
   set it up.  I basically want to be able to give an irresistable
   three finger salute through the serial port if need be, to
   *force* a crash/reboot.

2. Provided I can get in, is there any way I can *crash* the
   system so I can take a look at a dump to figure out WIH was
   going on to wedge it?

TIA... (frustrated in Detroit)
--
#ken	P-)}