Houses (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: FUD alert!)

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Fri Apr 19 23:17:55 EDT 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 12:01 am, you wrote:

> Anyways, we put in ethernet after we bought it (this was three years
> ago, or so), and it was a -lot- of work.  We're wireless as cheap (and
> fast) then as it is now, I would have never done it.  The advice about
> the pipes is nice, though, and I'll do that with our next house.

A conduit is definitely cool. Wireless is cool without a doubt. But, if your
after a quick-cheap-wire solution you might consider running a trunk on the
exterior of the house.  I'll bet an exterior grade CAT5 can be found. There
are probably plenty of places to hide the vertical run. Maybe one day we'll
be discussing fiber runs.  Ever recall seeing an old house with plumbing on
the outside of the house - it was added after the house was built :-).

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.