[TriLUG] installfest software preferences

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Apr 20 14:32:12 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 14:16, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
> Why Red Hat 6.2?

Good question.  A couple of reasons:

1) It is a very stable/solid release that runs well on older hardware.
While 7.2 is solid & stable, it doesn't run well on older hardware.

2) 6.2 supported the sparc platform.  7.x does not.

> Some people prefer Mandrake. 'Drake 8.2 might be nice. Although I won't
> be using it *grin*

True enough but as space is limited I'm trying to stick to what the
volunteer installers will actually be using.

> Ximian Gnome 2.0, Red Hat Skipjack (2nd release - unless final is done
> by May 11).

Ximian Gnome seems to be a hairy animal to mirror.  As I understand it
from my limited experience, Ximian wants you to install Gnome via Red
Carpet.  I've tried doing it with just RPM's before but without success
due to the huge dependency list that needed to be satisfied.

> I'll be bringing one of my alphas and a sparc IPC (if I can get a new
> ROM) to the Installfest, just to see. So I expect to use some of that
> meager bandwidth to do debian onto the Sparc (Unless (a) Spot has
> something interesting by then and (b) I have a new ROM for it, since the
> existing ROM is shot)

I'll probably be using my Sun Ultra 5 as the server.  Will be sure to
bring Alpha & Sparc binaries.