[TriLUG] Advice: ssh/rxvt/pine

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 22 07:10:52 EDT 2002

Andrew,

Why use ssh?  Is your local host, or a remote host that you're running
pine on?  If it's local, why use ssh at all?  Maybe I misuderstand.

If you're trying to debug either command, I'd start with removing each
option one by one and checking to see if that's what is causing it to
bomb.  If that fails to yeild you any results, try using another
terminal, such as xterm, gnome-terminal or kterm.

Another point: why not just use filters?  Pine has them, and they're
very extensible.  The only problem I had is that pine doesn't notify you
if there are new messages in a particular mailbox.  C'est la vie.

Finally, if you're only using this account for accessing pine, and you
have root access on the box, why not point your shell in /etc/passwd to
pine, thus removing the necessity to execute pine remotely at all.  as
soon as you log in via ssh, you're in pine.  That easily.  And by
exiting pine, you exit your remote session.

Good luck!

Regards,
Ben Pitzer