[TriLUG] Installfest

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Apr 22 07:29:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 07:14, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> I *THINK* Roy said he'd try to bring the "TriLUG Firewall" from RTI -
> that is, the box we use at meetings to MASQ at Dreyfus. if he can't,
> though, just put 2 NICs in the Sparc, and we can work the rest out....

IGNORANCE ALARM (claiming it for myself, not accusing you of it) - I
know in the Solaris world anyway that most non-Sun hardware won't work
on an UltraSPARC.  I haven't played with Linux on SPARC enough yet to
know if I can just slap a cheap-o SMC ethernet card in there and have it
work the way it does on x86.  I'm learning the hard way to not take for
granted that things will run under Linux/SPARC as easily as they do
under Linux/x86.

Worst case, I'll just have to pack my OpenBSD firewall.  ;-)

> Both my laptop machine and my desktop machine have CDRW drives, and I
> can bring some of my unused media. of course, my SparcIPC doesn't *HAVE*
> a CD-ROM drive. neither, at the moment, does the alpha - but the alpha
> seems to have a bad floppy, too. I'll be scavenging parts from some of
> my other systems prior to the 'fest *grin*

Wish me luck.  I'm about to go ask my financial advisor for $200 to
spend on computer parts (including a CD-R to put in the Ultra 5 plus
some blank media).