[TriLUG] Best place for SPARC ISOs

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Apr 22 15:45:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 14:33, M. Mueller wrote:

> Ultra5.  UltraSPARC IIi 333Mhz 256Mb.  It just came today.  It's got notta on
> it.  I think I'm talking to boot prom.

Nice box.  Sounds like what I have.

Some things you should know that I learned along the way:

* The floppy is not good for booting from.  You can boot from CD-ROM or
network (though I have not tried the latter).

* The hard disk and CD-ROM are both IDE.  You can put a brand new 100G
drive in there, CD-RW, etc.

* The memory is proprietary.  To upgrade to 512MB will likely cost you
more than the box is worth, and depending on who's memory you get you
might need to remove the floppy drive to clear it.

* Compiling apps is tricky at best.  Unless you force apps to compile as
32 bit apps, they will try to compile as 64 bit apps.  It seems only the
kernel should likely be running at 64 bit.  You can force a 32 bit
environment by running (as root) "sparc32 bash".  You can confirm
whether you are in a 64 bit or 32 bit environment with a "uname -a".  In
any case I'm using all the base RPM's that came with Red Hat 6.2 as the
updates are still downloading.  I'm hoping a newer gcc will fix some of
my problems.

When you turn it on, are you just stuck at an "OK" prompt with black
letters on a white background?  If so, yes you are talking to the PROM.