Houses (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: FUD alert!)

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Apr 22 13:53:26 EDT 2002

On Saturday 20 April 2002 09:01 am, Mike Johnson wrote:
> John Franklin [franklin at elfie.org] wrote:
> > Remember: Boxes are cheap.  PVC piping is cheap.  Nails are cheap.
> > Putting them in after the fact is not.  It's not just a house, it's your
[..snip...]
> Oh gods, can I agree with this.
[..snip...]
> Anyways, we put in ethernet after we bought it (this was three years
> ago, or so), and it was a -lot- of work.  We're wireless as cheap (and
> fast) then as it is now, I would have never done it.

I don't know.  In a 1-story house, I didn't find it that difficult.  I think
that I spent two days from start to finish to get 6 drops of two outlets
each.  I ran the CAT5 through the crawlspace and put the faceplates low on
the wall.  The trick was to get a good saw for cutting through the drywall
and a loooong drill bit to drill the hole down into the crawlspace from
*above* through the hole for the faceplate.  Put all of the faceplates on
interior walls if possible to avoid messing with insulation.  The first day,
we cut all of the holes, drilled down into the crawlspace, and ran the wire.
The second day, I mounted the switch, finished the faceplates, and cleaned up
the wiring in the crawlspace.

I even put an outlet on my back deck (an interesting trick that worked better
than I expected) so that I can hook up when I want to program outside on nice
days.

---Tom