[TriLUG] Best place for SPARC ISOs

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 22 23:04:48 EDT 2002

Just a point about Linux on SPARC.  Linux has a memory management bug on
at least the older SPARC 4c and 4m  hardware(from my knowledge this
still exists).  Not sure what systems it fully extends to.  This bug
cause a slow down where apps don't run as well as they should.  The
*BSDs do not seem to exhibit this behavior.  It might be worth comparing
to see what works best for you.  I use OpenBSD personally.  The NetBSD
installer is similar to OpenBSD's but it has some real rough edges that
make Debian look like the most user-friendly distro installer in
comparison :)

Not trying to bash Linux, but the bug doesn't seem to rate highly enough
to be fixed (probably no time to track it down)

Bill