[TriLUG] Cabling wish list

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Tue Apr 23 02:42:52 EDT 2002

On 23 Apr 2002, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth going through
> the hassle of getting everything run or if I should just go
> wireless everywhere, *or* if I should do a mix of the two.

Wireless is easy. Wireless is not particularly secure (*understatement*)
and is limited to 11Mbps as of right now. I have a friend who runs a
computer-based recording studio in his home and has three recording
stations, and the speed limitations are prohibitive for his file transfer
needs. It's still great, though. As someone attempting to retrofit an
older house and finding the work difficult, I like Greg's estimates and
suggest go for as much wiring as you can manage while the house is being
built. A wireless access point is still convenient as all h*ck.

best,
Steve Burnett
burnett at pobox.com