[TriLUG] Re: Houses

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Tue Apr 23 14:54:00 EDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 01:33:18AM -0400, Greg Cox wrote:
> Sitting on a 1x4 between 2 60degree rafters, 4 feet above the beams,
> tacking up a cable holder, bundling/labelling the runs, you'll
> eventually want to leave.  Then is not the time to try a dynamic move
> that, IF all goes well will let you swing a leg and a hand to another
> rafter, but WHEN it goes wrong will leave you dangling by 1 hand and
> 1 useless-on-60-degree-slope foot.
>
> You are not a rock climber.  You are not a beautiful and unique
> snowflake.  We are the all-stringing all-crimping geeks of the world.

This is when you hire Lisa, who is small enough to fit in tight places,
nimble enough to navigate them and *is* a rock climber, complete with
gear!  Oh, and knows the business end of a crimper.

The first company I worked for had offices in an old converted house.
The place was probably built in the '30s or '40s.  It was half-basement
and half-crawlspace.  Two of the guys working there were part of the
local caving club, so when they decided to run network cable they
grabbed their gear and went to work under the house.  It all worked
pretty well.

The most memorable line from them:  "Hey, this cat is dead."

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org