Rsync (was Re: [TriLUG] Best place for SPARC ISOs)

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Tue Apr 23 23:25:06 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 11:53 pm, you wrote:
<snip>
> No problem.  I started using rsync when I started mirroring
> Mandrake cooker.  It's quite nice.  In addition, someone wrote
> a script for mirroring mandrake that will do nice things like
> parse the rpm file name format and if it's just a release change,
> name the old file to the new name and rsync on that.  (Comes in
> handy when mandrake does something like sign all their packages
> with a new signature and bump up the release tag.  All the files
> were still the same with only the headers differing...)

Gray matter vs. broadband. I want both.

> Rsync over ssh is cool too...

Are the r-commands out of favor for security reasons?  That's how one person
described them to me.  So going over ssh removes the fear.  Bolt on security
like I read earlier today.

With rsync, when the transfer stops for some reason, do you just go back in
with the same command, and let rsync figure out where it left off?  The
partially retreived file should be left alone, correct?

Man, there's nothing like loosing a bunch of 620Mb files at the 80%
mark to make you appreciate rsync.

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.