[TriLUG] DHCP/DNS

Elliot Peele elliot at trilug.org
Thu Apr 25 02:22:14 EDT 2002

Andy,

You need to be able to setup DHCP reservations so that each machine will
always get the same ip. I'm not sure if your D-Link router will allow
you to do this. I would recommend that whatever box you are setting up
to do DNS also do DHCP and this box would need a static ip. DHCP
reservations are done by MAC address you can obtain these by using
ifconfig on linux or ipconfig on widows. You may want to have a few
addresses that are free and not reserved for something else in the case
that you are adding boxes temporarily.

You should be able to find help on configuring dhcpd and named on The
Linux Documentation Project mirrored at http://linux.ncsu.edu/LDP/

Elliot

--
* Elliot Peele                                                   *

	Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux
			--/usr/games/fortune linuxcookie

	lp1 on fire (One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)