[TriLUG] RE: [TriLUG] DHCP/DNS

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Thu Apr 25 14:15:55 EDT 2002

> I'm using a static IP for the DNS server, but what about the other
> machines. I don't know their IP addresses when I'm setting up the DNS.
> If I make them static, for some reason, I can't seem to get out onto
> the internet.

I have my router setup to dish out dynamic ip addresses with really long
expiry times. Each of my machines always seems to get the same address(I
can't remember if there was a setting for that). I then setup my local DNS
entries with those dynamic addresses. Since they never change for the
machines that are always there I have no problems. If a guest comes in and
attaches to my lan he/she gets an ip that has no DNS entry. That is ok
since they are only there temporarily. It works great for me.

--
Peter Long
mailto:petelong at petelong.com