[TriLUG] Installfest minutia (two grills, or not two grills...that is the question)

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Apr 25 21:50:10 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 18:38, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 14:29, J Johnson wrote:
> > I guess what I was trying to point out is that if there is someone that
> > won't eat something that has been cooked on a grill the has had meat cooked
> > on it EVER, then there will need to be another grill brought.
>
> I think anyone that is that extremely outside of the norm shouldn't be
> upset if we expect them to make their own arrangements.

I tend to agree with Chris on this one (did the earth just shake?
heavens tremble?) can provide for a vegetarian alternative, or Kosher or
Halal, the more extreme interpretations of those dietary standards may
be unattainable buy an organization of our size. For example, while it
may be reasonable to offer a vegetarian alternative, a vegan alternative
is a bit extreme, and more importantly, difficult for us to attain
without excessive effort on our parts.

> But more to the point, has anyone that is so discriminating RSVP'd yet?
> I suspect the discussion is probably moot.

Tanner, who is vegetarian, has requested a vegetarian alternative. I do
not think that this is unreasonable. If he, like many vegetarians, has
been that way for a long enough period that animal proteins & fats are
difficult if not nearly impossible to digest (and I have at least one
acquaintance who cannot metabolize animal proteins at all, and never
could, and this causes severe health problems were he to try), perhaps
we can make additional accommodations to address this concern.

However, I doubt this is the case right now. If the membership wishes to
provide a vegan alternative, go for it. However, outside the realm of a
deadly health risk, I don't think it should be a requirement. if a vegan
or two in the membership wishes to provide such an alternative, I'll
probably have a cow-burger and a veggie-burger, 'cause I like both.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim