[TriLUG] sparc ISO download puzzler

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Sat Apr 27 11:36:06 EDT 2002

Wonder of wonders!  I got the .iso download thing cornered.  I used wget and
wget -c.  I found multiple mirrors at linuxiso.org.  Whenever I stalled at
one mirror, I would cntl-C and resume at another.  I eventually bounced back
and forth between two sites and finished the job.  I think one could automate
the process using Expect and some timers.

Alternating the sites was valuable. Simply restarting the download at the
same site that stalled resulted in another stalled download.

Balloo on the debian-user list gave me this suggestion:
Quote begin:
Give this a shot:
http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/253/binary-sparc-1.iso
http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/253/binary-sparc-2.iso
http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/253/binary-sparc-3.iso

All those point you to a random mirror that carries each image.
Quote end.

With this improvement, you may not need to bang in several different mirror
sites because the website does it for you.  I haven't fully tested if this
works reliably.

I was able to download 2.2r6 debian sparc disk 1 with a good MD5.  Now I'll
go after the RH6.2 zot-sparc to see if I really have this process figured out.

My guess as to why I am having so much difficulty is that it's the ISP's
fault.  Donald at ibiblio did some poking around with traceroute and found a
couple of points that seemed slow.  I had plenty of reports that the mirrors
were working.  I proved that my computers were capable of getting .iso with
RH7.2.  That's a paradox, however.  Why could I get RH7.2-i386 and not sparc?
I did eventually get some failures on i386 iso's.  I wonder if there is
traffic shaping at the servers allowing priority service on some files
thus leading to better performance on my less than perfect routes?

I more clearly understand the value of the installfest.  I burned up lots of
time and bandwidth and server cycles trying to get distros.  Time is better
spent collecting distros at the installfest.  But if you miss the installfest
and have a less than optimal ISP, perhaps the method above will help you.

Thanks for all the help along the way.

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.