[TriLUG] Install hell

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Apr 27 21:06:39 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 20:50, Robert A. Henderson wrote:
> I tried it with the motherboards IDE controller. It was flaking out
> in very similar ways. That's when I decided to go buy a Maxtor ATA-100
> controller. Looks like I'm $40 in the hole on that one. :-/

I've seen instances where a drive is reported good by an M$ OS, but
Linux finds bad blocks and throws up. Case and point - I had a failing
hard drive. if I formatted the partition fat I could rea and write the
the sectors all day - I have no idea if I was loosing data or if M$ hits
and error and skips the sector or what. Formatted with ext2 and a bad
block scan (which didn't find anything wrong, mind you) and when I
attempted to write to the bad sectors, whammo! - seek errors, and other
problems.

I'd try a different drive. Does it may any funny noises when it fails?

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim