[TriLUG] Concerns about public mail archives (was: The Samba Question you posted about printing)

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Apr 29 22:16:44 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 19:57, Errol Casey wrote:
> My defense, is to use a software package called TMDA -- Tagged Message Delivery
> Agent (http://software.libertine.org/tmda/). It reduces your spam a great
> deal by using a confirmation process, for emails that are not on a
> whitelist of addresses. You can also use it to bounce/drop email from
> address that you know, you do not want to accept.

I've started using MailScanner and SpamAssassin myself. MailScanner
because I have some windows clients on my domain, and could see
w32/kleez.e coming fast. You can plug in a couple of different virus
scanners if you want, although the default is Sophos. Sophos rocks. even
if it costs $$

MailScanner works with SpamAssassin, so I installed that as well. Rather
than use the "filter spam for all users" that MailScanner offers, I
opted for the spamd configuration (because my wife was complaining about
her legitimate mail being flagged as spam). Now, my users can get spam
filtering by adding the following to their .procmailrc :

#check for spam
:0fw
| spamc
:0:
spam_mail

This pipes the message through the spamc client (which talks to spamd,
meaning there's really only one instance of SpamAssassin running) which
tags potential spam with the X-Spam-Status header. In the above example,
if it sees that headers is "YES" the message will get filed in the
spam_mail mail folder.

SpamAssassin : http://spamassassin.org/
MailScanner : http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/
Sophos : http://www.sophos.com/

Sophos is intel only. SpamAssassin and MailScanner come in source, rpm,
and deb packages.

Too bad MailScanner doesn't work with Postfix. Yet.
--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim