[TriLUG] please help

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Mon May 6 09:30:55 EDT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Dan Chen wrote:

> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:03:39PM -0400, Inor Kuo wrote:
> >   I am fairly new to linux.  I have installed redhat 7.2 and I tried to
> > upgrade the kernel from 2.4.7-10 to 2.4.18.  I unpacked the source for
> > 2.4.18 in /usr/src/linux and did a make clean, make xconfig, make dep,
> > make, make bzImage, make modules, make install, and make modules
>
> Generally Red Hat packs their kernel sources with forward- and
> back-ported patches. A rawhide kernel might be more what you're looking
> for. With that in mind...

I agree.  If you're just getting started with Linux, you'll probably want
to stick with prepackaged (RPM/DEB) kernels until you're more comfortable
with the system. Other sofware isn't as tough to get working properly from
source.

--Wade

--
Fight for your rights in the digital age:
http://www.speakeasy.org/~russotto/dangerous.html