[TriLUG] please help

Robby Dermody nova at naomi.avalonent.org
Mon May 6 09:52:36 EDT 2002

If you're still rather new to linux, you might want to try using the
kernel RPMS instead of getting the source and compiling it yourself.

I just went back to using RPMed kernels with Mandrake 8.2, works really
well and my installation is easier to keep coherent, IMO. However,
learning how to "roll your own" is great experience for those getting
into linux, so I don't blame you. I can't tell you much about the mouse
problem, as you didn't give any error lines, but do that make
config/menuconfig/xconfig  (whatever) again and make sure that you have
USB HID (human interface device) support and USB mouse support enabled
either as a loadable module or right in the kernel.

Also, if you are running XFree86 4, take a look at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
with your favorite text editor. I don't think your problem lies here,
you probably didn't compile in mouse support into the kernel.

The section you're looking for should look something like:
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5
EndSection

Whatever that device says, make sure it exists on your system. With the
USB stuff, I find that a lot of the time, the devices in /dev for them
are dynamically created. For you, you probably use /dev/usbmouse

If you compiled mouse support as a module, edit your /etc/modules.conf
file and make sure it's set to boot, also try loading the modules by
hand with the modprobe command. View the modules for your kernel by "ls
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/" (if you're running the kernel
you're trying to get working).

Also, make sure you check out the kernel HOWTO, or read the README, etc.
that comes with the kernel. The docs in documentation/usb or whatnot off
of the kernel source dir are informative as well for your situation.

Good luck, you'll be a linux-geek in no time! :)

Robby

--
Robby Dermody
robbyd at avalonent.org
Avalon Entertainment - www.avalonent.org

"Who will tell whether one happy moment of love,
 or the joy of breathing or walking on a bright
 morning and smelling the fresh air, is not worth
 all the suffering and effort which life implies?"
 				-Erich Fromm