[TriLUG] please help

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Mon May 6 09:55:55 EDT 2002

Dan Chen wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:03:39PM -0400, Inor Kuo wrote:
>
>>  I am fairly new to linux.  I have installed redhat 7.2 and I tried to
>>upgrade the kernel from 2.4.7-10 to 2.4.18.  I unpacked the source for
>>2.4.18 in /usr/src/linux and did a make clean, make xconfig, make dep,
>>make, make bzImage, make modules, make install, and make modules

you are probably lacking usb support in the new kernel.  I would suggest
plugging in an old ps2 mouse to see if it will boot x.  If it does boot,
then look at adding usb to the kernel ( burried inside of 'make menuconfig' or
'make xconfig', but of course the latter will not work if you don't have X
running.)