[TriLUG] IMAP server

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Tue May 7 03:32:40 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 12:14 AM, Jason Tower wrote:

> I've been running a fairly stock red hat sendmail/uw-imap combo for a
> while
> now with good results.  However, I'd like to experiment with postfix and
> maildir type mailboxes, which I understand the UW imap server doesn't
> really
> support very well.  The two main alternatives seem to be Cyrus and
> Courier.
>  Can anyone recommend one over the other?
>
> Jason

Interesting question as I just spent the night moving away from Maildir
and to the mbox format. I was using Courier on a SPARC IPX and it worked
quite well. However, I really wanted to use spamassassin, but it brought
the poor little machine to it's knees.  So I have migrated to UW-IMAPd
on RH 7.3. Supposedly, mbox is faster than Maildir, but Maildir is
better for things like shared access. I don't really think it matters,
but couier is definitely easier than Cyrus IMHO and for a smaller set of
users it is just as good or better.

Bill