[TriLUG] Red Hat 7.3 - pricing suggestions for the lurkers @ RHAT

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue May 7 06:58:52 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 06:15, Christopher Knowles wrote:
> While I agree that a $30 price point for the box set would be nice, take a
> look at how much you just paid for that Xbox game, or that PC game.  (Paid 54
> for JKII, well worth it.)

I haven't bought a console since Sega Genesis, mainly due to the price
of the carts.  I was given a N64 with one cart as a wedding gift, and
caved in to my wife's pressure to buy her Donkey Kong 64.  But other
than that, no console games.  Mostly due to the value you get for your
dollar.  My threshold for software is about $30.  If it is REALLY darned
good I might spend $40.

There are enough Linux distros out there that the consumer can vote with
his wallet.  I've been a big fan of the more stable releases of RHAT but
I'm willing to change teams for a good $30 distro.

Of course in a business environment I'd be willing to spend more.  But
I'm only talking about personal use software here.

> My strategy is this.  I pay the $60 for at least one of each major revision.
> In this case it will be 7.3, but I usually upgrade the box with one other
> revision.  I'm not really upgrade happy.  And if you look at the cost of
> upgrading windows... yeesh.  You're paying for a full copy, not just an
> upgrade.  So if RH is competing with M$ it's a fair price point.

To be fair though, Microsoft comes out with a major OS upgrade like
every 2 or 3 years.  Upgrade costs for staying on top of the Microsoft
NT family, for example, may be less expensive than Red Hat Linux
upgrades.  A single Windows NT-family "upgrade" is pretty expensive, but
also pretty infrequent.

I do like the frequent release strategy that RHAT uses.  I do wish that
the last few x.0 releases were called "rawhide" but that's a subject for
a different thread.  ;-)  Anyway, if you add up the cost of upgrading
Red Hat every time they come out with an upgrade it is pretty staggering
(for home users).