[TriLUG] IMAP server

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Tue May 7 09:16:18 EDT 2002

"Jason Tower" <jtower at nc.rr.com> writes:
> I've been running a fairly stock red hat sendmail/uw-imap combo for
> a while now with good results.  However, I'd like to experiment with
> postfix and maildir type mailboxes, which I understand the UW imap
> server doesn't really support very well.  The two main alternatives
> seem to be Cyrus and Courier.  Can anyone recommend one over the
> other?

Cyrus doesn't use maildirs, not like Courier.  Cyrus likes to run is
its own little corner of the universe, and other pieces of software
had better keep their grubby little hands off its data...:-)

I, personally, swear by Cyrus---I've run it in a number of different
environments, and it's always been rock solid.  At the same time, it's
probably overkill for a small (<10 people) installation, although I
run it at home (2 accounts) for the full-text indexing (I keep a huge
archive folder that can be really slow to search) and sieve support (I
fall into that relatively unusual category of "loves Perl, hates
procmail").

Oh, and I think the assertion made elsewhere that mbox is faster than
maildir is bogus in all but the most pathological situations (hundreds
of thousands of messages, which is really more an ext2 limitation),
and even then, if courier does the smart things and keeps any sort of
.overview type index, it'll win.

Mike.