[TriLUG] Decent install target?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue May 7 10:52:48 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 11:40, J Johnson wrote:

> Ok, I know I should have been more specific. The box is a "MIG1998", a.k.a
> "Made In Garage circa 1998". :-) Not sure about mobo, will have to look
> later, but it has a Pentium 233MMX processor, 64MB EDO Ram, generic (i.e.
> unknown) video card, and a 10GB Maxtor IDE hdd. CDrom, floppy,etc. It does
> use an AT connector for the keyboard, and the mouse is serial. I said it was
> old, right? I guess I should pull it pull it out and take an inventory of
> what is actually there, huh? Obviously if I bring it to the installfest I'll
> bring a serial mouse and a PS/2-->AT keyboard converter.

Sounds like a great installfest candidate.  I think you'd be surprised
just how useful this machine can be.  My wife has a machine with similar
specs running win2k so if that bloated OS can run on such a machine,
surely we can get Linux working well on there.

If you also have a faster Linux box at home, bring both to the
installfest.  I can make the faster machine a terminal server for the
slower machine, so you'll have full desktop access to your faster
machine from multiple points around the house (minus sound of course).