[TriLUG] Red Hat 7.3 - pricing suggestions for the lurkers @ RHAT

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Tue May 7 11:06:22 EDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 10:45:25PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> For the Red Hat lurkers on this list, please know that this pricing
> strategy makes it hard for hobbyists and enthusiasts to continue
> supporting your products.

You do realize that said lurkers probably don't make pricing decisions,
and that a local LUG mailing list is absolutely the wrong place to start
such a discussion if you actually want anything changed?

For example, if I think the price of Thinkpads is too high, I don't try
to get the price changed by posting to a LUG mailing list in hopes that a
lurking IBMer will take my advice and IBM will lower prices the next day.

This might be hyperbole, and I may be a jerk for saying it, but really,
I subscribed to this list when I was a student working for NCSU, and it's
off-putting when people assume that everywhere you go, you're there as a
representative of your employer and nothing else.

Nalin