[TriLUG] Red Hat Launches Nation's First K-12 Red Hat Linux Education Program; Helps Improve Computing Access for All Students

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed May 8 11:10:09 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 10:23, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> That's bee the biggest problem with *ANY* volunteer effort within
> TriLUG. Most of us are professionals with families and full-time jobs.
> Many of us have limited free time we can spend on these projects, no
> matter how much we care.

This is very true.  Also we have a lot of really skilled technical
people but no real "management types".  You know, the sort that can see
the problem, break it up into pieces, and delegate (which isn't always a
bad thing).

> While we've managed to do a lot this past year, we can always do more.
> The difficulty is in organization and scheduling.

That's sort of one of my back-burner projects.  If we move the mail off
to stonesoup and the ftp mirror off to a different box, that may free up
some space on fatalpha to resume development there.  I was originally
focusing on bug tracking but I'm wondering if project management or
groupware would be a better use of time/resources.

Towards the end of getting stonesoup in good running shape, I suggest we
work on it at the installfest.  There will be no shortage of hands.  And
of course two or three guys can be ssh'd in at once to configure
different services (one on MTA, another on webmail, another on
firewalling, etc.)

> I've tried, over the past few years, to do more. I've asked, repeatedly
> for volunteers. The current candidates for the SC are the people who
> time and again have stepped up to the plate.

I don't care how it shakes out, I think next year looks very promising
based on the list of nominees.  Pick any five. <humor> Based on recent
events, maybe we need #6 (Minister of Defense). </humor> <serious> I
hope we get a chance to talk about that tomorrow night. </serious>