[TriLUG] Fw: Mandrake 8.2 first look

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed May 8 09:27:10 EDT 2002

A Dimecres 08 Maig 2002 08:57 pm, al johson va escriure:
> A friend of mine was kind enough to send me a fairly exhaustive
> description of someone else's experiences with Mandrake 8.2. I don't
> know if all that he says is true or not, after all "you pays your
> money and makes your choices who to believe or not believe". Still, I
> thought it might be interesting for the Trilug group to read. ---Al
>  Johnson.

Just let me provide you with a second opinion:

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/01/0044222&mode=thread

(...)

  Newsforge.com: Mandrake 8.2 is boring -- in the best way from sde
Wed, May 1st @ 03:10 PM Less than an hour after my review copy of
Mandrake 8.2 Powerpack arrived, I had everything up and running,
including my printer, wireless connection, and StarOffice, along with
Mozilla and a number of popular plugins. It was about as ho-hum an
operating system install as anyone could want.

I have been using Mandrake for quite a while, but that didn't really
matter. This was strictly a "stick the coaster in the cupholder thingie
and turn the switch on" install. I chose defaults from beginning to
end, mindlessly clicking on everything that was presented to me. I
swapped coasters when the cupholder thingie opened up, then clicked
"okay" after I put the next coaster (they have numbers) into the
cupholder and shoved it back into its slot. In between I read The Wall
Street Journal. On paper. The Journal was more exciting than the
install.

Because there's nothing to say about the Mandrake 8.2 install beyond,
"it worked," let's look at the books that came in the box. The first
one, and the most important one for new users -- and I mean a user
either new to Linux or new to Mandrake -- is the Installation and User
Guide. It is 371 pages (including index) of real, honest-to-bonkers
user manual that tells you how to use all of Mandrake's
graphical-install and setup tools and how to run many of the most
popular programs included with this distribution. It has sections with
names like "Office Work" and "Using the Internet." People who might
have asked, "What's a Linux?" yesterday could read this book and know
how to do almost every ordinary computer task in Mandrake after they
were through.

(...)

Hope this helps.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.2 - Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Linux Machine # 38068