[TriLUG] Sun RAID array

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Thu May 9 08:53:33 EDT 2002

Jonathan Hassell [jon at jonathanhassell.com] wrote:

> I have been lurking here for about a month now and I'm finally coming out
> of the shadows.  Thanks for all the informative posts - I'll try and make
> it to the next meeting and introduce myself.

Welcome!

> I have an opportunity to purchase, for about $300, a Sun RSM-2000 (aka
> A3000) RAID array with seven 5 GB hard drives.  Having no experience with
> externally attached storage like this, I'm assuming I can hook it up to my
> Ultra 2 Enterprise box via the external SCSI interface and everything will
> be hunky-dory.  Unfortunately, I'm biased by years of futzing with small
> computers to think that it can't be that simple.
>
> Does anyone know how this work?  What are the caveats, if any, to buying
> this box?

Looks like a good deal to me, and it should work just fine.  The only
caveat is that it looks like it needs an UltraScsi interface (68 pins).
I've no idea what you have on the back of that U2 (been a while since
I've had one in my hot little hands -- wouldn't mind another, if you're
giving one away ;)

The manual might be useful:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/802/802-7603/pdf/

Otherwise, make sure you have the space.  Doesn't look like a small box:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Array_Options/ARRAY_OPT_RSM2000_Rack.html

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost