[TriLUG] [Fwd: Re: I've Had Enough...]

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu May 9 09:46:29 EDT 2002

The attached message was sent to an NCSU mailing list as part of a
discussion about reactions to Microsoft's new licensing and pricing
plans. It details a move by the extension offices toward a Linux network
with terminals all around the state. I thought it was a positive enough
experience that it would be worth sharing with the group here.

I emailed the author and have permission to share this, as well as an
invitation to extend to anyone that would like to help out. Many of you
may already know Janyne Kizer, who is the sysadmin for this project, and
I presume this is in a large part her accomplishment.

Aside:
As an NCSU alumnus, it pleases me to see it making some moves in what I
perceive to be the right direction. I stay in touch with friends over
there, and the increased budget crisis is starting to cut right to the
bone in my old department, which is pretty amazing considering how tight
things were this past year already. Even though some seemingly dumb
decisions have been made (e.g. PeopleSoft debacle of a few years ago), I
truly hope to see NCSU make the best of the opportunities it has in
front of it. It has Red Hat practically on campus now, and if they
squander that opportunity, then perhaps there really is no hope.

Anyway, the extension office experience is below. Sorry for rambling
with this too-long intro.

matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\