[TriLUG] Basic Security Question

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Thu May 9 10:28:23 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:25:38AM -0400, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> Three years ago (yeah - I know - an eternity in software time), I went to a
> seminar/conference about Linux. The speaker was talking about how Linux
> installs left a lot of open doors that are major security risks. Doors that
> have to be closed by the user and that most student users never realize
> that they need to close those doors. This was at a time when there were a
> lot of problems on the network due to students not configuring their
> computers correctly.
>
> So - is this true for installations nowadays? And if so, ya'll will help me
> Saturday close all those doors right? ;)

Generally current distributions do a much better job of not leaving
unneeded services installed/running based on your selection early in the
install process. This of course still doesn't protect against braindead
admins who install all wonders of packages, but it helps.

And yes, the fine folks at the installf will help you w/ it. :)

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc