[TriLUG] dd floppy image issue

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu May 9 10:39:08 EDT 2002

Craig wrote:
> I am trying to create a RH7.3 boot disk from the images on the cdrom using
> the following syntax:
>
> dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
>
> When I run this it seems to write to the floppy, but when I try and read the
> floppy, I see nothing and the floppy does not boot.  The system I am using to
> create the disk is a Dell laptop running Mandrake 8.2.

I don't know if this is necessary, but when I first started using Linux
in prehistoric times, one needed to use the 'rdev' command to get a
kernel to boot.

After dd'ing your image, try running

rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

and see if that boots.  Check the 'rdev' man page.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html