[TriLUG] Jeremy's "Bio"

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu May 9 13:26:33 EDT 2002

Hi,

Time for my "bio"

I'm Jeremy Portzer.  I've been a member of TriLUG since the beginning,
with our first meeting in a crowded basement at UNC.  I lurked for a
while, but have become more involved in the past year.  This is my first
run for Steering Committee.

I've used Linux since the days when Slackware was popular; I think I first
installed it about 1995.  I've run various Linux servers ever since, and I
use Linux 100% on my workstations.  My other area of technical "expertise"
is in web application programming and web servers, as well as digital
video.  I'm a big supporter of the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics,
where I graduated in 1998, and for two years I've been driving NCSSM
students to TriLUG meetings (the students can't have their own cars.)

Over the past year at TriLUG, I've helped organize the meetings for two
speakers, Eben Moglen and Robert "roblimo" Miller, whose presentations
couldn't be held at Dreyfus due to the size.  I'm organizing
this Saturday's installfest, being held at Durham Tech Community College,
where I'm lucky enough to have a full-time Linux job.

My goals for TriLUG include working with the SC to continue our current
emphasis on education.  I feel that my connection with the community
college can be a great asset to TriLUG, as we look for more and more ways
to get people enthused about Linux.  I really enjoy helping organize
special events like the installfest and the speakers; if elected to the
steering committee I can be in the best place to make sure TriLUG members
get the events they want.

I'm also interested in applying my experience in web programming and web
site maintenance to assist or follow Bill Vinson's excellent work.  I
understand the importance of keeping the web site up to date, and will do
so religiously if elected.  I also have some experience in accounting, and
and I can volunteer for the role of treasurer, since our current treasurer
is "retiring."  I'm not an expert, but I'm very willing to commit the
time and resources necessary to be the treasurer.

Oh, and my other "qualification" is that I share the first name of
esteemed Red Hat Linux guru/expert Jeremy Katz, also an NCSSM graduate,
but don't get us confused.  He's the short one.  :-)

Thanks for considering me for steering committee.

Respectfully,

Jeremy Portzer