[TriLUG] opennms - awesome!

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu May 9 14:36:16 EDT 2002

Hey guys... I used to tinker with OpenNMS about a year ago and it just
wasn't "there" yet.

The recent release of 1.0 prompted me to check it out again for a
client.  So far, so good.  This was very easy to install, and is running
through discovery now.  It already found a problem I didn't know I had.
Check it out:  http://www.opennms.org

I'm running right now on a Pentium II 233MHz with ~400MB RAM and 3.2GB
HDD.  This is not enough hardware.  I haven't done any troubleshooting
yet but I suspect CPU.  In any case, my initial impression suggests not
to throw a super cheap recycled box at this.

The installation was eased by my choice of distribution;  If you're
running an RPM based distro (Red Hat 7.3 here) you can install Java
first manually, and then a simple lynx script installs the rest
automagically.  You need to edit about four XML files to get it going
(the example files are very intuitive to edit).

I'll post more info after I've had some more experience with this, but I
wanted to let y'all know that this looks like it could be a killer app
and the price is right!