[TriLUG] opennms - awesome!

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Thu May 9 15:39:42 EDT 2002

On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 02:36 PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Hey guys... I used to tinker with OpenNMS about a year ago and it just
> wasn't "there" yet.
>
> The recent release of 1.0 prompted me to check it out again for a
> client.  So far, so good.  This was very easy to install, and is running
> through discovery now.  It already found a problem I didn't know I had.
> Check it out:  http://www.opennms.org

0.9.9 is the most recent release I have used and yes, it is quite
amazing. It has come along way since I first found out about it 2 or 3
years ago. Exciting how much it could with just a tiny amount of
configuration.  If I had a large or spread out network, this would be a
must for me, but with never more than 10 systems in the house (not all
are even used :) it doesn't prove to be necessary, but I have enjoyed
keeping up with their progress.

> I'm running right now on a Pentium II 233MHz with ~400MB RAM and 3.2GB
> HDD.  This is not enough hardware.  I haven't done any troubleshooting
> yet but I suspect CPU.  In any case, my initial impression suggests not
> to throw a super cheap recycled box at this.

I ran it on a Duron 900 with 256MB ram and the ram was definitely the
limiting factor for me, but it ran and the system was very usable. I
think 384-512MB would be a nice sweet spot if the system will be used
for other things as well.

> The installation was eased by my choice of distribution;  If you're
> running an RPM based distro (Red Hat 7.3 here) you can install Java
> first manually, and then a simple lynx script installs the rest
> automagically.  You need to edit about four XML files to get it going
> (the example files are very intuitive to edit).

The docs are quite clear and the editing is VERY simple...

Bill