[TriLUG] Fun Debian install error

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Fri May 10 12:25:56 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 10:44:50AM -0400, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> Ok, I've installed Debian "testing" (the names confuse me) distro from net.
> I've rebooted. It's now looping in the setup of the timezone and if I want
> MD5 passwords and shadow passwords.

Woody. In fact, it's always better to refer to the names instead of the
stable/testing/unstable label, since shortly the symlinks will be
shifting. :)

On #debian/OPN, from /msg apt woody_install_loop:

*apt* methinks woody_install_loop is reboot w/ init=/bin/bash, mount /
rw, mv /etc/inittab.real /etc/inittab, restart or read about it at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=145434&repeatmerged=yes,
or or switch to a second console, (ctrl-alt-f2) mv /etc/inittab.real
/etc/inttab and restart (shutdown -r now), or
<reply>http://wiki.debian.net/DebianWiki/DebianWiki/WoodyNetinstBaseconfigLoop

Hope this helps.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc