[TriLUG] Fun Debian install error

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Fri May 10 13:16:14 EDT 2002

On Friday, May 10, 2002, at 10:44 AM, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> Ok, I've installed Debian "testing" (the names confuse me) distro from
> net.
> I've rebooted. It's now looping in the setup of the timezone and if I
> want
> MD5 passwords and shadow passwords.
>
> What do I do now?

I found this also. It is at least in x86 and PowerPC and I was told that
it is a known bug that is being addressed before woody, 'testing'
becomes the official stable platform. Debian is pretty good about not
releasing until things REALLY work :)

The easiest thing is to install potato, 'stable', and upgrade to woody.
I can help with that tomorrow at the IF if you would like. The problem
with stable is that it has less drivers and if you have a weird ethernet
card or something, it won't be very useful... My netgear FA-311 in one
system (Or some such) is a natsemi and is only in newer kernels so
potato can be a pain...

The other option is to kill all the initial setup processes and hand
configure the system (I did this on my iBook), but it does take more
work and more comfort with Debian's setup.

Bill