[TriLUG] ldap - using ldap for personal address book

Errol Casey gcasey at aitcom.net
Fri May 10 14:41:06 EDT 2002

Has anybody setup ldap, and used it for email addresses in a local
environment.

I've downloaded openldap, and successfully started a server -- but it is
unclear
how to "easily" add new users, with info like email address, telephone
number etc. without a lot of work using the command line interface.

Are there any 'how-to' or 'gui' tools available for linux; to help ease
the pain of adding entries into a "new" ldap server. I know most email
clients have mechanisms to search ldap servers now (mutt,pine, etc.) so
I'm trying to do this so I can have easy access to email address without
having to use a webmail addressbook.

Thanks.

--
Errol Casey
Advanced Internet Technologies, System Engineering